School Program by Topic
Earth & Space
Body Science: Healthy Habits (K-2)
- Identify that living things grow and change.
- Understand that people need food for survival.
- Explore the concept of nutrition and its importance for growth and function.
- Investigate foods to learn how to make healthier choices.
- NGSSS: SC.K.N.1.3, SC.K.L.14.1, SC.1.L.17.1, SC.2.L.14.1
Body Science: Cell Theory (3-5)
- Identify that all living organisms are made of cells.
- Investigate the structure and function of cells.
- Explore the concept of cells as building blocks for tissues, organs, and body systems.
- Identify some of the major body systems, organs within these systems, and how they function together.
- NGSSS: SC.3.N.1.3, SC.4.L.17.2, SC.5.L.14.1,
Icky Squishy Matter (K-2)
- Explore the concept of matter and its various states.
- Discuss how chemistry is used in everyday life.
- Observe a chemical reaction and phase changes.
- Model safe laboratory procedures as students actively participate in making a take-home gooey concoction.
- NGSSS: SC.K.N.1.1, SC.K.P.8.1, SC.K.P.9.1, SC.1.N.1.2, SC.1.N.1.3, SC.2.P.8.2, SC.2.P.8.3, SC.2.P.9.1
Radical Reactions (3-5)
- Review the definition of chemistry and matter.
- Differentiate between chemical and physical reactions.
- Incorporate steps of the scientific method through observation and experimentation.
- Model safe laboratory procedures while recording and interpreting results.
- NGSSS: SC.3.N.1.3, SC.4.N.1.6, SC.4.P.9.1, SC.5.P.9.1
Earth & Space Science
Digging Deep: Fossil Hunt (K-2)
- Define “fossil” and discuss fossil formation and types.
- Work in teams in our sand site to uncover and identify fossils.
- Discover the origin and identity of the fossils collected.
- NGSSS: SC.K.N.1.1, SC.K.N.1.3, SC.1.N.1.2, SC.1.N.1.3, SC.1.N.1.2, SC.2.P.8.1
Reasons for Seasons (1-2)
- Identify that the Earth revolves around the sun.
- Discuss how the sun provides energy in the form of light and heat.
- Examine patterns in weather, comparing Florida to other areas in the U.S.
- Construct and experiment with weather instruments.
- NGSSS: SC.1.E.6.3, SC.2.E.7.1, SC.2.E.7.5
Rock and Erode (3-5)
- Investigate the properties of rocks and identify the three rock groups.
- Explore rock formation and stages of the rock cycle.
- Experiment with a stream table to understand the effects of weather and erosion on rocks.
- NGSSS: SC.3.P.8.3, SC.4.E.6.1, SC.4.E.6.4, SC.5.N.1.5
Mineral Mystery (3-5)
- Learn the properties of minerals.
- Identify minerals and their uses in our daily lives.
- Investigate basic techniques used to identify minerals with the use of test kits.
- Record and interpret data to compare and identify unknown minerals.
- NGSSS: SC.3.N.1.3, SC.3.N.1.6, SC2.N.1.7, SC.3.P.8.3, SC.4.E.6.2
StarLab: From,Night to Day (K-2)
- Identify that the sun provides energy in the form of light and heat.
- Investigate the position of the sun in the sky as it appears to change throughout the day.
- Explore the night sky in the Star Lab.
- Construct a sky scope for continued exploration.
- NGSSS:SC.K.E.5.2, SC.K.E.5.3, SC.K.E.5.4
StarLab: Moon and Stars (3-4)
- Identify the sun as a star that emits energy.
- Investigate the changes in the observable shape of the moon.
- Observe the patterns of the night sky in our StarLab.
- Explore the reasons why stars seem to shift across the sky.
- NGSSS:SC.3.E.5.1, SC.3.E.5.2, SC.3.E.5.3, SC.4.E.5.1, SC.4.E.5.2, SC.4.E.5.3
StarLab: Exploring Our Galaxy (5)
- Identify the objects which make up our galaxy.
- Compare properties of the inner and outer planets.
- Discuss the influence of gravity and energy in the formation of galaxies, stars, and solar systems.
- Explore, our solar system in our StarLab.
- NGSSS:SC.5.E.5.1, SC.5.E.5.2, SC.5.E.5.3
Magnet Investigations (K-2)
- Identify properties of magnets using careful observation.
- Work collaboratively to investigate the steps of the scientific process.
- Participate in hands-on experiments with magnets.
- Compare observations and ideas by sharing results with others.
- NGSSS: SC.K.N.1.1, SC.1.N.1.3, SC.2.P.13.1
Good Vibrations (K-2)
- Explore the concept of vibrations.
- Identify that sound is caused by vibrations that travel in waves through different media.
- Experiment at centers to understand how sound is made.
- Construct a musical instrument for continued exploration back in the classroom.
- NGSSS: SC.K.P.10.1, SC.1.N.1.1, SC.2.N.1.1
Electrical Encounters (3-5)
- Explore the concept of electricity and identify the different types.
- Investigate static electricity in the form of lightning.
- Examine current electricity by building circuits.
- Experiment with materials to differentiate between conductors and insulators.
- NGSSS: SC.3.P.10.1, SC.3.P.10.2, SC.4.P.10.1, SC.4.P.10.2, SC.5.P.10.1, SC.5.P.10.2, SC.5.P.10.4
3-2-1 Blast-Off: Forces and Motion (3-5)
- Explore rockets and identify the parts.
- Investigate Newton’s Third Law of Motion.
- Identify types of energy and acting forces during a rocket launch.
- Collaboratively work in pairs to construct and launch a water rocket.
- NGSSS: SC.3.E.5.4, SC.4.P.10.2, SC.5.P.13.1
Science Skill Building
Build It: Engineering (3-5),
- Investigate the concepts of engineering by raising questions and experimenting in teams.
- Record date in the form of simple charts.
- Explore the idea that science does not always follow a rigid method.
- Construct a model while using creativity and design skills.,
- NGSSS: SC.3.N.1.1, SC.3.N.1.3, SC.4.N.1.3, SC.4.N.1.8, SC.5.N.1.5
Clues of the Past (3-5)
- Investigate the use of present artifacts to make inferences about the past lives of Tequesta Native Americans.
- Explore evidence and, generate science explanations.
- Differentiate between an experiment, and other types of scientific explanations.,
- Explore Florida history by discussing "trash mounds."
- NGSSS: SC.3.N.1.6, SC.4.N.1.7, SC.5.N.1.2
Know Your Rock (1-2)
- Learn what it means to make observations using one or more of the five senses.
- Collectively describe an object in as much detail as possible.
- Explore the definition of a rock by actively participating in “My Secret Rock.”
- Discover different types of rocks in a rock dig.,
- NGSSS: SC.3.N.1.6, SC.4.N.1.7, SC.5.N.1.2