School Programs By Grades
Body Science: Healthy Habits
- Identify that living things grow and change.
- Understand that people need food for survival.
- Explore the concept of nutrition and its importance for growth and function.
- Investigate foods to learn how to make healthier choices.
Digging Deep: Fossil Hunt
- Define “fossil” and discuss fossil formation and types.
- Work in teams in our sand site to uncover and identify fossils.
- Discover the origin and identity of the fossils collected.
- Explore the concept of vibrations.
- Identify that sound is caused by vibrations that travel in waves through different media.
- Experiment at centers to understand how sound is made.
- Construct a musical instrument for continued exploration back in the classroom.
Icky Squishy Matter
- Explore the concept of matter and its various states.
- Discuss how chemistry is used in everyday life.
- Observe a chemical reaction and phase changes.
- Model safe laboratory procedures as students actively participate in making a gooey concoction to continue exploration back in the classroom.
Know Your Rock
- Learn what it means to make observations using one or more of the five senses.
- Collectively describe an object in as much detail as possible.
- Explore the definition of a rock by actively participating in “My Secret Rock.”
- Discover different types of rocks in a rock dig.
- Identify properties of magnets using careful observation.
- Work collaboratively to investigate the steps of the scientific process.
- Participate in hands-on experiments with magnets.
- Compare observations and ideas by sharing results with others.
- Learn the properties of minerals.
- Identify minerals and their uses in our daily lives.
- Investigate basic techniques used to identify minerals with the use of test kits.
- Record and interpret data to compare and identify unknown minerals.
Reasons for Seasons
- Identify that the Earth revolves around the sun.
- Discuss how the sun provides energy in the form of light and heat.
- Examine patterns in weather, comparing Florida to other areas in the U.S.
- Construct and experiment with weather instruments.
StarLab: From Night to Day
- Identify that the sun provides energy in the form of light and heat.
- Investigate the position of the sun in the sky as it appears to change throughout the day.
- Explore the night sky in the Star Lab.
- Construct a sky scope for continued exploration.